Saturday, September 27, 2008

HUMBA

The weather is cold, and the sky here in my place is gloomy. Seems it will rain. I know it is already fall- this weather is just like December in the Philippines. When it is cold you will feel lazy to go out and you will just love the comfort of your bedroom. I remember that i and other members of our family would stay at home and we gather at our small living room watching tv, singing in with our karaoke, playing scrabble, poker, chess, sungka and my mother would cook the food for us. Back home my father used to cook our favorite dish "HUMBA" this is a pork with lots of fats. I really love this dish especially if the meat is so tender, wow, i could eat much mixing the fats with hot rice, "uummm sarap". When i get out of the table huh, i could not walk anymore belly being full, then my brods and sis would tease me, you walk like a buddha he he he....NOW since i am not working yet i looked at my recipe book which i brought from my country, i'll try to cooking this dish for my Italian hubby. I just hope that he will appreciate our Filipino food although he eats our favorite rice noodles "pancit". While we know that Italians are more into pasta i'll let him taste it. wooosshhh, i'll just imagine he will like it too...I like their food too but i miss my native dish. I will share with you my recipe:
ingredients :
1 k. pork liempo with fats cut into big cubes
1/2 cup peanuts
1/2 head garlic, crushed
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
5 tbsp. brown sugar or
5 pcs. bay leaf
1 tsp. black pepper, crushed
salt

procedure:
1. In a pot put a little banana leaves or if you don’t have pot just in a thick sauce pan put all ingredients add enough water to cover meat and bring to a boil.
2. Set heat to medium low and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
3. Remove all scum that rises, add more water if necessary.
4. When pork skin turns to gelatine like texture. Add the peanuts.
5.Taste if saltiness and sweetness are even, set heat to low and continue to simmer until all the liquid has evaporated and pork start to have fat.
6. Now cook the pork on its own fat until brown on low heat . Add a little oil stir occasionally to avoid burning the bottom. If the meat is already tender take it off from fire. Serve hot….

Enjoy……

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
ss_blog_claim=c8fab303e347b5269835209986cc92d3
ss_blog_claim=c8fab303e347b5269835209986cc92d3