Saturday, June 6, 2009

Buko Pie

Speaking of pie's one of my favorite is the one that is in the signage below. They are famous for this kind and we call it buko pie .Collete captured the taste of the Filipino the reason why they are famous when you are thinking of pasalubong. Buko Pie is made from young coconut meat, cheese, and other ingredients. I remember when I was still working in the Philippines, my work being an employee permits me to travel and visit one of our chain of stores once a year. I choose the stores near Manila and one of my favorite is San Pablo City, Laguna. Before I go home I will ask one of my store personnel to buy for me boxes of buko pie from Collete. The reason why I ask this guy because he has a friend working in there and they are entitled for discount. Instead of just having one of two boxes sometime I could get 2 for free if you buy 10 boxes which is already good. This buko pies are my pasalubong to my kids and officemates, which they really love because the crust is crunchy and the coconut is young and tastes really good. I let my hubby taste it in one of his visit, we were then going to Tagaytay and he likes it. Now that we are here in the US he is asking me to make it but I don't have a recipe. So I ask my son to sent me my recipe book. I tried and it taste good. I am sharing the recipe for those who are interested.


Ingredients:
Crust
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup shortening
1 piece eggyolk
1 tsp. vinegar
1/4 cup ice water
Filling
4 cups coconut meat
1 cup coconut water
1 300 ml. can Carnation Sweetened Condensed Milk
2/3 cup cornstarch
Instructions:
1. Blend flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening using two knives or a pastry cutter. Combine yolk, vinegar and water; slowly add the liquid to the flour mixing until dough can be handled. Divide dough into 2 parts with one part slightly bigger than the other. Roll bigger dough to about 2 inches larger than a 16-inch pie plate. Fit dough into a pie plate, letting sides hang. Roll out remaining dough for the crust. Set aside.
2. Combine filling ingredients in a thick saucepan. Cook stirring constantly until thickened. Cool then pour into prepared crust. Cover with top crust; flute or crimp edges together to seal. Bake for 1 hr. at 425 degrees F. Cool before serving.
Photobucket

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
ss_blog_claim=c8fab303e347b5269835209986cc92d3
ss_blog_claim=c8fab303e347b5269835209986cc92d3