Friday, June 12, 2009

San Agustin Church, Intramuros, Manila -One of Philippines Historical Church

Tweet this
TwitThis
I have a stressfull week last week as my co-worker is on leave. She works full-time while I work in the afternoon as part-time worker. Since I know the job she requested me to work full -time which is fine with me as it would add to my earnings. I was happy although a little bit stressed but I love the work. The only problem is I could not write my blog and post it. I really miss blogging though sometimes I skip a day posting. There are times that I got busy doing house chores and go out for errands that prohibits me from opening my computer and do the blogs. Another thing that made me stress last week is the planning of our upcoming church wedding which is next year 2010. Unlike my civil wedding here in the US that I personally do the bookings , making the wedding favors and making the list for the guest. Pretty easy for me. But this time it is far, as the wedding will be held in the Philippines so some of my relatives can partake this once in a lifetime and memorable event of my life. It not easy to work this out when you are far. Good that my former officemate volunteer to help me in the planning. She was the one who contacted the church administrator for the booking. Same with the venue which is also inside the Intramuros area. Triatrillo was the place that we choose for our reception. As early as now, we were able set the date of our wedding at the church of San Agustin in Intramuros. I do this in advance because this church is historical and there are lots of weddings held in this place. For you to be on the list, it takes like the wait-lists had a span of over a year. Our is scheduled on February of next year but we were able to get the slot of 6:30 in the evening because the day that we take is Saturday and there are lots of couples who are on the list already and its fully book . Anyway even its already evening at least we were able to get the date. To give you an idea of the place I have here the pictures to show where it is located.
This is the view of the whole Intramuros, Manila. According to history this is the city within the walls.In(Latin) intra means within and muros means walls. This is the popular name given to the walled city of Spanish Manila. The name “Manila” (it is claimed) derives from nilad, a type of mangrove that bore white waxy flowers (Ixora).
Designed and built by Jesuit priest Antonio Sedeo from 1586 to 1587, this is one of the oldest stone fortifications in this place Intramuros.This Began as a circular fort called Nuestra Seora de Guia. Renovated in 1593 to join the walls of the city. Fort fell in disrepair and, in 1644, construction began for a new baluarte which was completed between 1653 and 1663. Resembling an ace of spades, it housed a foundry during the 18th century.
San Agustin church is the only colonial church that has retained its original vaulting, despite the destructive forces that shelled the church during WW II. It was a fortuitous turn because San Agustin church flaunts one of the most artistically decorated interiors among all of the colonial churches in the country. A side chapel next to the main altar is dedicated to the Spanish Miguel Lopez de Legaspi, the founder of Manila. His remains were re-buried here by the Augustinians, unidentified and mixed along with others, after they were ruthlessly unearthed by the British who were searching for golden treasures in 1762. It is quite scarry when you look at it on the outside because it is very old already.but take a look at the church is more than just an architectural icon.The playful effect of chiaroscuro-light and shadows-and perspective, restrained only by the limited palette of a few earthly colors, is a visual spectacle. Perhaps, the grandiosity of the painting is a bit too presumptuous to some critics, but one can assume that the vitality of the interior must have roused the imaginations of Simon Flores, a local artist who later became responsible in decorating the interiors of several other churches.

From a clearer view of the inside when it is lighted you will be amazed of its architectural design.The reason why most of the celebrities and those who belong to the upper class (elite) who could afford to held a wedding here get their share of memories. Modesty aside I am one of them who dreams to hold a wedding here and a dream come true. Though we do not belong to the society mentioned above. We just want to make our day a memorable one.If you want further knowledge of this church history just click the picture and this will explain why this church was on the list of the Philippines treasures.

Photobucket

1 comment:

daniel said...

The popular comment layout is common, so it is easily recognized when scanning to post a comment. If the comment section is in a different format, then I am going to spend more time trying to decipher what everything means.

part time worker

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
ss_blog_claim=c8fab303e347b5269835209986cc92d3
ss_blog_claim=c8fab303e347b5269835209986cc92d3