Sunday, November 2, 2008

All Saints Day and All Souls Day

All Saints Day yesterday and All Souls Day today, as our tradition in the Philippines we visit the tombs of our dear one’s bringing with us flowers, lighting candles and offering prayers. I was so excited going to the cemetery here only to witness that it was not crowded just like we have in our country. And one thing I noticed is that we can’t leave a lighted candle as they might burn the grasses and would spread the fire. So what we did we just offer the flower, I insist to my hubby that I will light the candle for a few minutes, offer a prayer then we're set to go. It is really sad to know that this 1st and 2nd Day of November comes once a year and yet some of the departed loved ones were not even remembered by their relatives. I say this because I am a witness myself that only few people go there and offer flowers. The only indication that you will know that someone visit the grave is the bunch of fresh flowers that you will see on top of those graves. When we get home I waited for 6 pm to light again the candles as it is believed that there are some lost ghosts who is roaming around the house and trying to convey the living that they exist. I had an argument with my hubby regarding those candles as he said it not in their tradition but I still insist that I will light that at 6pm ‘til 8:30pm. Why 8:00 pm? because it is believed too that 8:00 pm is the time for the spirits of our loved one’s comes to visit us not to haunt us. They visit us because they want us to know they are just there whenever we need them. We may not see them but i feel they are there looking at us. So don't be scare if they sometimes tap you on the shoulder. Their tap is an assurance that they are just there still loving us, protect us and not harm us. Unless its a bad spirits they say. And Believing that God is light, some say that those spirits follow that light, and i think that lighting a candle is just lighting their way. This is just superstitious, there’s no harm in following it as this was handed already for generations. Others may not believe it and find it a little weird but to me for as long as it is not bad I will still follow and go on with the traditions. I believe that our departed loved one is always there to look at us and guide us. Sometimes without your knowing they are there to help us whenever we need them. Lighting a candle and offering a praying for them is my way of thanking them and letting them know that we always remember them. They maybe departed from us temporarily but the connection is still there. They will always be in our hearts because we loved them and they are part of our lives.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
ss_blog_claim=c8fab303e347b5269835209986cc92d3
ss_blog_claim=c8fab303e347b5269835209986cc92d3