Thursday, February 19, 2009

Foods i Crave

Living thousands of miles away from the Philippines can be difficult at times for a Filipina like me. I moved here 11 months ago, and my taste buds still remain a hundred percent Filipino. I have everything that I need here, but oftentimes I crave for food that is nowhere to be found here in the US. I really miss this foods below.
Biko: this recipe is made of glutinous rice (malagkit), coconut milk, and brown sugar. It takes a while to cook it and it requires a long period of constant stirring. My mom usually cooked the famous "suman" and "suman sa lihiya" on Fiesta’s, Christmas, New Year or whenever there is occasion but there are times too that we could cook it if we like it. Was able to prepare it here but I was not satisfied as I am not used to canned coconut milk. We always use the fresh ones.

Lechong Baboy: Roasted Pig is usually the highlight of every occasion and festivities in the Philippines- Birthdays, Fiestas, New Year, Weddings etc. The crunchy skin is worth to die for! It is usually dipped in vinegar with garlic, or in mang tomas all purpose sauce or ketchup. Wow ang Sarap!!! In Manila Lydia's Lechon and Ping-ping's are well-known when it comes to lechon.


Bibingka: a classic Filipino sweet rice cake. It’s a delicious treat served during special occasions in the Philippines. I’ve always wanted to make my own bibigka here but don't have the things that i want to use. Being just know don't have so much knowledge where to get it. There is an instant bibingka mix but haven't tried it yet. I am not an expert cook too so I don't have much confidence in my cooking skills. I only know a handful of recipes. But i am trying to learn.
Kinilaw: The freshness of raw fish cooked in vinegar is complimented by the flavorful taste of bell peppers, chile pepper, garlic, onions, ginger, lemons, coconut milk and several other ingredients that you wish to put. This dish has marked a special place in the hearts of every Filipino- especially the ones abroad like me.
Lato: I am crazy about this seaweed. I just dipped it in vinegar. This is a type of seaweed which is rich in iodine,iron, calcium, and vitamins A and C. .It is bright green in color and have almost grape like formations attached to a thick stem… and when you bite into the lato they pop in your mouth and release a salty liquid truly reminiscent of the ocean. They seem particularly good if they are rinsed in salty water and popped into the fridge for half an hour so that they are cold when served.

Manggang hilaw: nothing can top the crunchy unripe mangoes in the Philippines. A few days before my “red week” starts, I get the urge to eat this fruit. It’s great when you dip it in shrimp paste or fish sauce (bagoong). Most pregnant filipinas experience an intense appetite for this fruit during the early stage of their pregnancy. I really love eating it and i could eat 5 to 6 pcs of unripe mango.

Munggo with malunggay: This is a very affordable yet very nutritious meal for the family. You can add smoked fish or pork or dried shrimp to make it a delightful recipe. In the Philippines, they say that pregnant women should eat more of it to aid from Beriberi . How true?

Banana-Q/Camote-Q: It is commonly known as a street food coated with caramelized brown sugar, and threaded on a thin piece of bamboo skewer. This is traditionally served as a form of snack.




Inihaw na pusit: Squid in English. I prepare it with by inserting tomato and onion with a little bit of salt to taste into the belly of the squid before I grill it until cooked.... just the right bite and not tough (never rubbery), moist and not dry, really tasty and not bland.In the Philippines it is one of the most ordered food in any grilled seafood restaurants and fassfoods or foodcourts.
Did I make you hungry just watching at the food? Then i apologize he he he!!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Italian food is also good, esp. the different types of Pastas--such as Ravioli, Lasagna, Cavatelli, Stuffed Shells etc. Try to make and eat some of these wonderful pasta dishes, you will surel enjoy them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
ss_blog_claim=c8fab303e347b5269835209986cc92d3
ss_blog_claim=c8fab303e347b5269835209986cc92d3