Monday, March 2, 2009

Corresponding with penpals to improve English

Writing to penpals has become a thing in the past. But now we can use email or chat to serve the purpose. Practicing good English.

When I was still student, I correspond with a few penpals to improve my English. I had much penpals different countries like in Europe, USA, Africa, and some in Asia also in my own country. At first I am not interested in having pen friends but my neighbor is. She sent a picture to one of the publication in local comics that has that portion of wanted pen pals. From that tons of letters was coming in and because she is slow in English and her handwriting is not that good she ask me to reply her letters. We love to reply two letters, one is from Australia and Japan. These two always corresponds and sent us some souvenirs from their country. They also sent us stickers which we love most. That made me inspired of writing back. From that experience, my knowledge in English became good. I told my friend that she will not learn if i will always be at her rescue whenever she had letters. Thus i encourage her to try if she wants to improve her English. I meet a friend from college that loves to write pen friends in the US her reason is, she wants to marry an American as she wants to come to USA and be an American citizen. The truth is whenever we signed a slum book she would put in the question portion of what is your ambition , her answer would be to go to USA and be an American citizen someday. She is now here in Chicago but she did not meet her husband on the pen friends section. She meets him in person in Angeles, Pampanga where her Aunt sent her there for a vacation. It is against her will as she has a Filipino boyfriend in our place, but her Aunt force her to separate from him as the man had no job. So while mending her heart she meet this American Engineer working in the US Navy. This man is renting one door at the house of her cousin. This man laid eyes on her, feel in love with her and their love story begins which eventually lead to marriage and her journey to the US soil. Anyways, this girl’s courage inspired me to also publish my picture on one of the US Pen friend publication. She took a picture of me from one of her album. Send it to that Fil-Am friendship publication. Without my knowledge she filled –up an application form put on my whereabouts send it after. I was surprise to receive tons of letters. Others just want plainly friends, and few ask me to marry them. From that I selected two. One is from California and the other from Sweden. We exchange letters and pictures, sending cards on occasions. As time go by, these two men develop love that they ask me to marry them. That time I am undecided yet knowing that I was 18 then. Oh yeah, I started having pen pals at 18 LOL. Their age is half of mine. My intention is just to have friends all over the world collect souvenirs from their country and also collecting stamps as my hobby. I am not yet ready for a married life. My studies are my priority. So I told them frankly about my priority which they eventually understand. From writing, I found that my English really improve by leaps and bounds after having lots of practice replying to my pen pals letter. You have no choice but write them good English as they could not understand if i write them in Tagalog, LOL. Later on I stopped replying them, because I had too much homework and could not find time to do the correspondence any more. Now, i would say that its easy to have correpondence because of the modern technology that we have.Not only that, we can chat with them and might as well see on webcam as easy as that. The fastest way of commmunication that we had now is possible already.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
ss_blog_claim=c8fab303e347b5269835209986cc92d3
ss_blog_claim=c8fab303e347b5269835209986cc92d3